Not logged inFAQLogin

New Series Message Board

FollowupsSearchThreadedUnthreaded
Subject:Re: Eleventh Doctor (not spoilers but potentially controversial opinion!)
Posted by:yet another dave
Email:
Posted at:06:57:39pm 04/01/2009
In reply to:Re: Eleventh Doctor to be announced this weekend! (SPOILERS) - usertheotherdave (06:50:21am 04/01/2009)

I think it says something about how much the TV show many of us were a little - erm - ashamed to admit to being fans of when we were younger has changed when the announcing of the new Doctor is a MAJOR TELEVISUAL EVENT. Those of you who've seen my Eccleston vs Tennant thing in RTP! will note also that here's an even more extreme case of the new show now being so powerful that it can MAKE A CAREER for an otherwise unknown actor (for instance, the world will never care that Freema can't act - she was in 'Doctor Who', so she's a star). And those of us who've seen Lawrence Miles' angry blog ravings about why the Doctor has to have a pronouncable name are probably amused too.

Yeah, makes many of us feel very old! first time for me the Doctor has been younger than I am - although some of you will have had that with David Tennant, yes? I think it says something huge too about the mark David Tennant has left on the role that Steven Moffat says the Doctor needs to have an element of youthful cheeky urchin (or whatever his words were). I think we've seen the end of days when the likes of Robert Carlyle (wouldn't THAT have been great?) or Bill Nighy were in with a chance of being cast (and once again, the new Doctor is someone that NEVER factored in the bookmakers' lists) - the show is now YOUNG and HIP even if we aren't anymore!

In its current incarnation the show needs an enthusiastic, optimistic lead actor with HUGE amounts of energy and passion. I know I'll be alone in saying/thinking this but THANK GOD it wasn't horrible old Paterson Joseph.
d

: Now it has been announced is it a spoiler (Spoiler flag in
: place just in case.)
:
: Just two observations:
: 1, Who? Don't get me wrong - we've been having relative
: unknowns since T baker and McCoy (and in many ways
: Tennant), so it all may work out - just want something to
: gaugue him by.
:
: 2, 26!! - That makes me feel REALLY old.

Follow Ups: