Not logged inFAQLogin

NZDWFC Message Board

FollowupsSearchThreadedUnthreaded
Subject:Chch. Xmas Party Report
Posted by:Neville Walker
Email:
Posted at:04:34:46pm 13/12/2006

Well, I set off with my family at around 10:30am from Timaru, and arrived at my in-laws house in Cashmere at 12:36pm, aprox. We had a good nosh-up, and headed off to see more relations in Bishopdale. After a short time there, Margaret & I tootled off towards Shirley...but stopped on the way, so I could try to buy a CARRY ON film, at Northlands. No luck! Got to Matt's place; found I'd just missed out on the crowd watching the animated episodes from THE INVASION...that DVD boasts an excellent & revealing commentary, by the way... ;) I was wearing my authentic-looking Tom Baker scarf (season 13/14). My wife & I brought Dalek Cupcakes; these were popular! Another fan brought Cyber-biscuits; I was lucky to get the last one! Mrs left to visit more rellies, & I stayed, of course...being more than a little into DW...

I showed off my DW Interactive Electronic Board Game, I'm still not sure if anyone wanted to play it, as the bunch were rather loud, though cheerful. The miniature TARDIS in the game was a bit of a hit.

With me, I brought a number of DVDs & videoes...Matt, being a very modern young chap, doesn't have a VCR, so it was lucky most of my offerings were on disc! :) I began by issuing a challenge: "Who is the WHO actor?" I showed a scene off a BBC disc....no-one had a clue. Gave the decade; then the Doctor, finally, the story...at last, a winner!
It was REG LYE, that fabulous character actor, playing a part in Michael Palin's RIPPING YARNS...Reg was Griffin the Chef, from THE ENEMY OF THE WORLD.

Next up, I presented Colin Baker playing an artist who was murdered, in JONATHAN CREEK. That ponytail suits you, Colin!

A naked Penelope Wilton (Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North/PM) then graced the small screen, doing her turn in CALENDAR GIRLS!

The Avengers provided the next item, with a rather familiar voice & face apparent on the screen! Jon Pertwee played "The Brigadier" (before there was any such character in DW), who was re-creating a battle in Italy with the aid of many sound-effects, on gramophones...if only he'd been as funny on Dr.Who!

Briefly showed scenes from TENKO, but couldn't find Louise Jameson...next time! Found Burt Kwouk, though (FOUR TO DOOMSDAY).

Next on, I put on a disc from the Live Collection of Peter Kay (the Abzorbaloff). You may not all be aware, that Peter Kay made his name doing stand-up comedy; his Live Collection features his one-man shows filmed at Blackpool & Bolton (his home town). I showed Peter doing a few ale adverts. Next time, if time permits, I'd like to show one or two episodes from THAT PETER KAY THING - it's like AIRLINE - you know, a fly-on-the-wall doco (mock, in Peter's case) - in which PK played at least 15 chacters over 6 episodes. It would be apt at a Chch chapter meeting, as it has subtitles... ;) ;) ;)

The last (& most popular) DVD that I played selected items from, was BLACKPOOL; which featues David Tennant acting, singing & dancing, and carrying on....this is recommended. Available at Real Groovy, at stores & online.

Well, there you have it...the Chch Chapter Christmas Party, 2006. As a fan who's getting to know the Chch guys, I found the occasional one not so nice (1 even offering me a new insult!?), but most were very welcoming. I'm keen to go again!

Follow Ups: